Thursday, April 03, 2014

30 Poets/Day 3 - Charles Ghigna and Laura Purdie Salas

April 3rd has given us Charles Ghigna talking about what a poem is and Laura Purdie Salas talking about a specific, slithery, squeezing snake. And once again I sigh and say "good stuff!"

    A Poem Is...
  -a poem cycle-
            by
  Charles Ghigna

A Poem Is A Spider Web


A poem is a spider web
Spun with words of wonder,
Woven lace held in place
By whispers made of thunder.


What's A Poem?

A whisper,
a shout,
thoughts turned
inside out.

A laugh,
a sigh,
an echo
passing by.

A rhythm,
a rhyme,
a moment
caught in time.

A moon,
a star,
a glimpse
of who you are.


A Poem Is A Little Path

A poem is a little path
That leads you through the trees.
It takes you to the cliffs and shores,
To anywhere you please.

Follow it and trust your way
With mind and heart as one,
And when the journey's over,
You'll find you’ve just begun.

©2009 Charles Ghigna. All rights reserved.
Click here to see the original posting.


Anaconda
by
Laura Purdie Salas

I slither through the swamplands--
A sneaky, silent slayer.
Survival is a deadly game
And I’m the longest player.

I’ll wrap myself around you,
I’ll squeeze in nice and snug,
Then share your final moments in
My anaconda hug.

Submerge, surprise, and swallow:
My favorite active words.
Jacanas, herons, screamers:
My favorite lunchtime birds!

© 2010 Laura Purdie Salas. All rights reserved.
Click here to see the original posting

Yesterday we had poetry by Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Joseph Bruchac. Tomorrow brings us X. J. Kennedy and Calef Brown.

Click here for more information about this year's 30 Poets/30 Days, including how to follow along.

No comments: